Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fool for School

I have just spent the last four hours in my house going over the poetry of William Carlos Williams (hereinafter referred to as "Billy Bill") and Stephen Crane ("Birdy").  And what, after much speculation and hard-working divination have I discovered?

That I completely suck at poetry. 

I don't understand it. 

I went to class on Wednesday night and one of my new friends proudly handed me his volume of poems.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that unless his name ended in "Suess" I was probably not going to understand a word of it. 

He watched me as I read.  I nodded and smiled.  I flipped pages in wild abandon.

I didn't have a f'n clue what the poem meant and still am not sure if it was my fault or his. 

I gave it back to him, trying my hardest not to give him the "WTF" look that I'm sportin' in the photo above.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poetry would be easy if it wasn't all subjective.  No one really knows what the poet means unless said poet actually comes right out and tells ya.  Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

All I know is,
The boy stood on the ships deck,
playling a game of cricket
the ball rolled up his trouser leg,
and hit his middle wicket!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha... that is how I feel too. Unless it is written at elementary school level.... you know like 'roses are red, violets are blue...' yeah, I am struggling! Ha ha I had the same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago in class. This girl gave me her book of poetry, but I don't have a good filter to filter out the WTF look! :-)

Anonymous said...

BILLY BILL!!! I love that.