Tuesday, October 31, 2006

HAPPY Halloweenie!

For a book club/Halloween party - we were to dress up as one of the characters of a selection from the past year.  Well, after reading The Dogs of Babel I knew which one:

"Anyway, one of the characters in The Dogs of Babel is an artist--the maker of exquisite masks. She is called upon to make a death mask as a mourning memorial to a 19 year old cancer victim. She makes a mold of the actual face, but the realism stops there. She paints the mask not with the features of the deceased, but with the markers of her soul--the essence of this individual. She paints scattered wildflowers, blowing in the breeze. Only when one looks closely, the bump of a nose is still present...the indentation of eyes, the roundness of mouth. The mask is so beautiful, that she is called upon to make several more. " (--this was an excerpt from a woman's journal entry - I can't find my book. I loaned it to Summer who swears: "IgaveitbacktoyouIknowIdid - right?" )

Side view of mask:

And another one:

It was hanging on the cabinet in my bathroom so I took one from kinda below - trying to make it creepier:

Here's me as "Lexy" in the mask (pretty cool how the green made my eyes stand out). I think it's a VAST improvement:

I let Phoebe try it on - eeesh - she needs her face washed!  But that's Harry's job! Why? The little twerp (the furry one - not the -uh- other furry one) bites me! :)

I think it's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

                                  Happy Halloween!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That came out great!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/    Tracy

Anonymous said...

Wow, well, it's very pertty by itself, very Earthy. But it looks strange when it's on, like mother Earth has risen for a dose of revenge on us or something. The book sounds interesting. Think I'll check it out.

Fred

Anonymous said...

Great!  I love it...

Btw, you should send the bottom pic in to Stuff on My cat !!!

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

First time reader, but I like your journal..and awesome mask.. i had to make one sorta like that for an art class i took a couple years ago.. i didnt want to put the stuff on my own face, so my teacher let me do it to her face..it was fun and weird at the same time..
anyways cool mask
take care!
<3jackie

Anonymous said...

hope you had a happy halloween
em