Sunday, October 22, 2006

Shake, Rattle and Roll - into a ball.

From my comfy brown recliner below, I can hear footsteps in the kitchen followed by pronounced crashes and bashes and loud booms and bangs.  A plastic bag rustles.  Cabinet doors are slammed.

I fear I'm being robbed of my Pfalzgraf.

No.

Harry's baking.

It's my fault.  I asked him - halfway jokingly - to make me some brown sugar bars.  I'm craving them due to the immense amount of homework that is weighing down on my tiny burnt-out brain. So, being the good husband he is - he sat in his chair for an hour and then timidly asked: "Are you sure you want me to make those bar thingys?" 

I nodded and off he flew up the stairs.

That was twenty minutes ago.

The noise is growing to a fever pitch.

I should go check on him.

And my kitchen.

But I'm scared.

I think I'll just sit in my chair and pretend to write some more on my paper.  Whatever he brings me, I will eat it and smile. 

Even if it tastes like crap.  :)

Update:  The bars didn't get made - but that's okay - all that clanging and banging was from him cleaning the kitchen!  I'll take that over dessert anyday! 

Here is the recipe - should anyone be interested (and YES, of course they're from Paula's kitchen!):

Brown Sugar Chewies
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show:  Paula's Home Cooking
Episode:  The Working Lunch
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Turn off the heat, add the brown sugar and stir until smooth. Stir in the egg. Stir together the flour and baking powder and stir into the brown sugar mixture. Stir in the vanilla and pecans. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. When cool, dust the top with a sifting of confectioners' sugar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's a sweetie! Oh and I NEED the recipe--Brown Sugar Bars--just what I NEED!!

Anonymous said...

Yummy...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Holly....cool that he was cleaning....I think that is so sexy...when a man does the floors its all I can do to not attack him.....its so a role-reversal...lol...nice..-Raven

Anonymous said...

those sound good maybe i should give that recipe to my hubby
our kitchen is a mess and i just have no energy today

haha
ttyl
em