Friday, February 24, 2006

Raincheck? One Youthful Existence, Please!

At 20 years of age the will reigns, at 30 the wit, at 40 the judgment. Benjamin Franklin

[US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790) ]

I wonder if I can get a raincheck for my twenties? I mean, I really didn't do that many truly "willful" things - so shouldn't I get an IOU? And as thirty is fast approaching - like a Hummer with its brake lines cut - I feel as if I should be able to make up for things I didn't do in my twenties. Like I need to do these "willful" things that I didn't take part in - for example - I'm untattoed. Yes, my dimpled pearly white, glow-in-the-dark skin has not a single mark of ink on it (besides the blue from my pen, but I digress) and I am feeling a bit lost and too stand-outishness in the sea of "marked" individuals. Perhaps a butterfly with pink wings? A holly leaf on my butt cheek? Xavier Roberts signature on the other? Hmm?

And I've never had a one night stand - well - not really. There was this one time, but I failed miserably. No, not like that! Well, you see, I married him, so, anyway, next topic!

I've never skinny-dipped. Wait, on second thought and upon further reflection of my expanding bottom, top, and middle - I think I'm okay without having experienced that - ever.

There are so many things that are reserved for those in the prime of their youth, so I think that I will just hold on to those reservations and cash them in when I turn - gulp - 30. According to good ol' Benny in the quote above, I'm supposed to have sharpened my wit by the time I hit the big XXX. So - why can't I have a "two-for-one special" with it? I think, since my twenties weren't as "willful" as others, that I will combine it with the wit of my thirties to have a bi-fecta of age! Hmm - makes me wonder at what age "pure genius" comes to pass? I'm voting for 27.

And how about that "judgment" thing that's supposed to come with 40 - is that a good thing? Or is it bad? Are all 40 year olds judging the younger generation? Or is it that when you're 40 you can now decipher between good and bad decisions so you tend to make good ones (don't drink expired milk) vs. bad ones (it's only a week past...)?

I vow to spend the rest of the day doing "willful" things.

Mission #1: Post this blog

Mission #2: Be Willful.

Mission #3: ????

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think a holly-leafed tat would be very nice...but I know you're NOT going to stick out your BUTT for that. Hahaha. Hey, if it makes you feel better, I didn't get my tattoo until I was 40-something. 41 or 42. I don't remember exactly because with The Judgement also comes The Memory Loss.

Anonymous said...

there is a comedian I heard on the radio who sings a song about a young girl of 19 that gets a tatoo of a dove with the word "love" underneath.  By the time she 45+ the tatoo is of a pteradactyl and says llllloooooovvvveeee.  why mess with perfection.

http://journals.aol.com/nonojean3/Outofthemouthsofbabes/