Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Woe is Me - A Lot.

Okay - so  I'm a slacker.

I'll wait until ya'all stop gasping. I'm sure the realization of my slack-a-tude is something that is both unexpected and unimaginable, however, I can assure you that it is completely true.

So I'm not really sure how I convinced myself to go to Graduate School.   I gathered papers, applied, e-mailed, begged and pleaded until they let me in.  I even took the damn GRE with its confusing questions that may or may not be trick questions and math problems that would've made Einstien break into cold sweats.   Now - with three classes left to go in my American Lit class I'm told "Hey - you Grad Students have to give a short presentation about your topic for the class next Monday."

Great!

Only - I've yet to pick a topic.

The small, tiny-handed professor decided that I was to write a paper proposal about Stephen Crane's novella "Maggie" and how it pertains to feminism literary criticism.  I didn't want to do that - I'm not exactly even sure what theories one would apply when approaching a work like "Maggie" with a feminist slant.

So - here's my call for help.

If ya'all have any ideas for me - short of running over my Professor with my car - too traceable - then please let me know!

UGH.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drive to a women's college or one that at least has a women's studies major and use their library. Think of it as a road trip with homework.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's been quite a while since I've done something like that.  I suppose you could always detail how the feminist statements in the work correlate to today's current state of the feminist movement.  Who in the novella helps and hinders the feminist movement at the time the story was told, and who in today's time helps and hinders the feminist movement?  

I'm not really familiar with the work, however, but I might take that angle.  

Hope that helps.

-Dan
http://journals.aol.com/dpoem/TheWisdomofaDistractedMind/

Anonymous said...

Ask any Lesbian you know if they have read it, they know all about feminism, it works wonders! That's of course, if you know any Lesbians, failing that, borrow my car and run over the Prof!
;-0

Anonymous said...

Well, I have not read the book but you could write a feminist slant by a name change. Call her Markie and her life after her sex change...lol..that will at least add to stereotypes and surely that will get you an A for thinking outside the box...LMAO....so do you need any more help?...lol..-Raven

Anonymous said...

OK back for a serious note....hmm...Well, I would look for typical female roles or situations that isolate women from equality that are within the book....Let the criticism be anything that the writer wrote that adds to this....

employment, Maggies outlook and hopes for life- Were they limited by her or society?....choices in relationships..biases...her self-esteem.....view of beauty..her needs in love....upbringing..what did she admire? ..what angered her?...what in her did you feel was compromised.?..her value or outlook in life....

I did minor in women studies..I dont know what the book is about...but email me, if I can help....-Raven

Anonymous said...

Maggie's situation is still happening all over the place TODAY. The women's prisons are filled with Maggies TODAY. AND these inmates are overwhelmingly minority and impoverished women. So maybe your slant can be how "feminism" has only helped middle and upper class white women. Maybe "feminism" itself is jut another priviledge unavailable to the poor.
We should have "come a long way baby"...but apparently we have not.