Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Drive that will Live in Infamy

"Wanna go for a drive?" Harry said after consuming a large vat of mashed potatoes, a bowl of bread and some questionable chicken for dinner.

"Sure, but don't you need to mow the grass?" I asked.

"I'll do it when we get back," he said.  I should've known that this was a ploy for him to get out of yard work but as we hopped into (plopped into) his rather loud purple (It's called "radar blue" but it's purple.  PUR-ple) corvette, dropped the top and went cruising out the back roads.

"Can't we get to Charleston from here?"  Harry asked as we soared around a corner of Route Ten.  "Wanna go get some Maggie Moo's ice cream?"

About an hour later, we're still on these tiny, winding backroads and I've counted at least four turquoise houses, three pink ones and close to a thousand home trailers in various stages of extreme disrepair.

As we crested a hill, I noticed an enormous Raven dining on some road kill.  As we got closer, the winged beast rose up and flew to a tree.

It was a buzzard.

I don't think I'd ever seen a real, live buzzard before.  Turns out it's because all buzzards prefer to live with the hillbillies in the backwoods of WV, just so you know.

"Hey!  Look it's a sheep!"  Harry pointed to a hill overlooking the road.  He frowned and then giggled.  "Nope, that's a donkey.  Oops."

I patted his leg and said:  "Well, it takes one to know one..."

Two hours later we end up at Maggie Moo's, tired and sweaty and faced with the daunting problem at home.  Another 45 minute drive home.  But he still got me home in time to watch the most confusing episode of "Heroes" to date. 

If anyone watched that episode, please drop me an email: h0llyk911@aol.com because I have a question that has been bugging me...

Have a great day!

--Holly

PS - I'm home all day today, after the three hour car ride I had HORRIBLE leg pain all night and Harry grounded me.  He left for Morgantown today, ordering that I stay home with my legs in the air.  MEN! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listen to the man and keep those tootsies elevated today.

Anonymous said...

I have heard that men say that, mind you, I haven't heard it for a while ;-)
Gaz

Anonymous said...

Keep your legs in the air = put your feet up. Don't knock it just enjoy the day. Or, you could do the yardwork Harry didn't get around to yesterday.
B. x

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm... usually when my hubby orders my feet up in the air, he doesn't go on a business trip!!!  LOL

Rest...

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

Glad you eventually got the ice cream ;-)

Jenny