Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Party Planning Post-party 'pocalypse

Baby Harry is turning one this Friday.

Which turns this chubby monster...




...into THIS grinning monster!!!

And this rather angelic looking monster, too! :)


So, since it's been a year - Baby Harry is turning one this Friday.
And, to quote every mother everywhere, it hardly seems like that much time has passed.
I think it was just a few weeks ago that I was holding him while he cried, fed him while he cried, and bounced him - while he cried.
And although his tears are now saved for frustration fits and for making me feel like crap for not letting him lick the china cabinet, I am still planning his first party.
I had originally wanted a small, informal, party but his father wanted different.
So I gave in.

And did ya'all know that you have to give party bags/favors to all kids just for attending?
I mean, all we got when I was a kid was a free piece of icing-less cake (my sister had convinced me it was gross so she could eat all the sugary goodness) and maybe a tiny scoop of PET ice cream.
But now you are expected to have coordinating plates, napkins, themes, tableware, cups, and food and snacks as well as cake and cupcakes.

And the damn favor bags.

So, as I'm pouring over my todo's last night, taking in "buy ice" and "serving utensils?" my husband sighed and, with the look of a well-seasoned traveler said: "I wish we would've just had a small family party."

So I stabbed him in the eye with a Banana Tootsie Pop.

Nah, but I wanted to.

Instead, I turned the page in my Dr. Suess-themed notebook and wrote "Family Party" on the top and started making lists for a small party - IN ADDITION to the bigger one on Saturday.

Lord give me strength to do what is asked of me as a mother.

And to, ya know, not stab my hubs with candy confections.
:)

No comments: