Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Phone Etiquette and Totem Pole Hierarchy

Geez, my job is freakin' boring!

Lemmie show you a scene of my life that happens, oh, about 40 times a day:

ME: "Good Morning/Afternoon! Smithson, Lyle, Adkins, Farnam, and Levenstien!" (names changed to protect the guilty)

CALLER: Wow! That sure is alot of names! Bet you couldn't say that ten times in row!

ME: (Sigh) (fake hearty laugh) Sure I can, it's written on the wall right next to me in big gold letters!

CALLER: That's good! That's good! (man-giggles ensue because they are now incredibly giddy that they are not as low down on the Totem pole as I so obviously am)

This happens all the time. It doesn't get any funnier either. But still, I laugh, I chortle appreciatively and chuckle at the "clever" ones who came up with their own, new, more inventive way to belittle the "help's" lack of memory skills, and I seethe inwardly.

And while I'm on the subject of phone etiquette - do not talk over me when I am answering the phone! You may see yourself as the knight in shining armour-all, ready to wipe away the trouble of having to say many names in a row - but trust me - don't. I'm in a rut, you move me from my rut and instantly, I'm in a funk. And not the good kind, either. I am used to saying the names repeatedly and often, so, please, for the kindness of my tattered brain cells, let me speak!

That is all.

Please leave your name and number at the beep and we'll be sure to get back to you.

 

BEEP!

No comments: